My research focuses on three ways that people commonly jeopardize their careers: by acting unethically, negotiating ineffectively, and sleeping insufficiently. Instead of focusing on self-defeating choices themselves, however, I focus on simple, theoretically-motivated measures that individuals can take to act more ethically, negotiate more effectively, and sleep longer or better.
Select Academic Articles
- Gunia, B. C., Gish, J. J., & Mensmann, M. (in-press). The weary founder: Sleep problems, ADHD-like tendencies, and entrepreneurial intentions. Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice.
- Gunia, B. C., & Lewicki, R. J. (in-press). Bartering as a blind spot: A call to action from COVID-19. Negotiation Journal.
- Corgnet, B., Gunia, B. C., & Gonzalez, R. H. (in-press). Harnessing the power of social incentives to curb shirking in teams. Journal of Economics & Management Strategy.
- Gunia, B. C., & Levine, E. E. (2019). Deception as competence: The effect of occupational stereotypes on the perception and proliferation of deception. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 152, 122-137.
- Gunia, B. C. (2019). Ethics in negotiation: Causes and consequences. Academy of Management Perspectives, 33, 3-11.
- Gunia, B. C. (2019). Deceptive negotiating: The role of the environmental cue. Academy of Management Perspectives, 33, 43-61.
- (Co-first authorship) Bhatia, N., & Gunia, B. C. (2018). “I was going to offer $10,000 but…”: The effects of phantom anchors in negotiation. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 148, 70-86.
- Sun, X., & Gunia, B. C. (2018). Economic resources and corporate social responsibility. Journal of Corporate Finance, 51, 332-351.
- Gunia, B. C. (2018). The sleep trap: Do sleep problems prompt entrepreneurial motives but undermine entrepreneurial means? Academy of Management Perspectives, 32, 228-242.
- Brett, J. M., Gunia, B. C., & Teucher, B. M. (2017) Culture and negotiation strategy: A framework for future research. Academy of Management Perspectives, 31, 288-308.
- Adler, A. B., Gunia, B. C., Bliese, P. D., Kim, P. Y., & LoPresti, M. L. (2017). Using actigraphy feedback to improve sleep in soldiers: An exploratory trial. Sleep Health: Journal of the National Sleep Foundation, 3, 126-131.
- Gunia, B. C. & Kim, S. Y. (2016). The behavioral benefits of other people’s deviance. Group Processes & Intergroup Relations, 19, 653-675..
- Gunia, B. C., Brett, J. M., & Gelfand, M. J. (2016). The science of culture and negotiation. Current Opinion in Psychology, 8, 78-83.
- Rousseau, D. M. & Gunia, B. C. (2016). Evidence-based practice: The psychology of EBP implementation. Annual Review of Psychology, 67, 667-692.
- Gunia, B. C., Sipos, M. L., LoPresti, M., & Adler, A. B. (2015). Sleep leadership in high-risk occupations: An investigation of soldiers on peacekeeping and combat missions. Military Psychology, 27, 197-211.
- Pascual-Ezama, D., Fosgaard, T. R., Cardenas, J. C., Kujal, P., Vesztag, R., Gil-Gomez de Liano, B., Gunia, B. C., et al. (2015). Context dependent cheating: Experimental evidence from 16 countries. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 116, 379-386.
- Barnes, C., Gunia, B. C, Wagner, D. T. (2015). Sleep and moral awareness. Journal of Sleep Research, 24, 181-188.
- Gunia, B. C. & Murnighan, J. K. (2015). The tell-tale look: Viewing time, preferences, and prices. PLOS ONE.
- Gunia, B. C., Barnes, C. M., & Sah, S. (2014). The morality of larks and owls: Unethical behavior depends on chronotype in addition to time-of-day. Psychological Science, 25, 2272-2274.
- Barnes, C. M., Gunia, B. C., Sah, S. (2014). Morning people are less ethical at night. Harvard Business Review. Online, 6/23/14.
- Gunia, B. C., Brett, J. M., Nandkeolyar, A. (2014). Trust me, I’m a negotiator: Using cultural universals to negotiate effectively, globally. Organizational Dynamics, 43, 27-36.
- Gunia, B. C., Swaab, R. I., Sivanathan, N. & Galinsky, A. D. (2013). The remarkable robustness of the first-offer effect: Across culture, power, and issues. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 39, 1547-1558 (lead article).
- Simon, M., Gunia, B. C., Martin, E. J., Foucar, C. E., Kundu, T., & Emanuel, L. L. (2013). Path toward economic resilience for family caregivers: Mitigating household deprivation and the health care talent shortage at the same time. The Gerontologist, 53, 861-873.
- Gelfand, M. J., Brett, J. M., Gunia, B. C., Imai, L., Huang, T. J., Hsu, B. F. (2013). Toward a culture-by-context perspective on negotiation: Negotiating teams in the U.S. and Taiwan. Journal of Applied Psychology, 98, 504-513.
- Gunia, B. C., Wang, L., Huang, L., Wang, J., & Murnighan, J.K. (2012). Contemplation and conversation: Subtle influences on moral decision making. Academy of Management Journal, 55, 13-33.
- Gunia, B. C., Brett, J. M., & Nandkeolyar, A. (2012). In cross-cultural negotiations, it’s all about trust. Harvard Business Review.
- Gunia, B. C., Brett, J.M., Nandkeolyar, A., & Kamdar, D. (2011). Paying a price: Culture, trust, and negotiation consequences. Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 774-789.
- Corgnet, B. and Gunia, B. C. (2010). Did I do that? Group positioning and asymmetry in attributional bias. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research, 3, 358-378.
- Thompson, L. L., Wang, J., & Gunia, B. C. (2010). Negotiation. Annual Review of Psychology, 61, 491-515.
- Gunia, B. C., Sivanathan, N., & Galinsky, A.D. (2009). Vicarious entrapment: Your sunk costs, my escalation of commitment. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 1238-1244.
- Cohen, T., Gunia, B. C., Kim, S. Y., & Murnighan, J. K. (2009). Do groups lie more than individuals? Honesty and deception as a function of strategic self-interest. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 45, 1321-1324.
Select Popular Articles
- Gunia, B. C. (2019). Become a better negotiator by not thinking about money. Barron’s.
- Gunia, B. C. (2019). Underpaid? The bartering mindset can help. Barron’s.
- Gunia, B. C. (2016). Does Trump know business? Op-ed in The Baltimore Sun.
- Gunia, B. C. (2013). Congress flunks negotiation 101. Op-ed in The Baltimore Sun.
- Gunia, B. C. (2012) On the fiscal cliff, neither side should compromise. Op-ed in The Baltimore Sun.
- Gunia, B. C. (2011). The cult of compromise. Washington Business Journal.
- Gunia, B. C. (2011). The cult of compromise. Baltimore Business Journal.
- Gunia, B. C., Wang, L., Huang, L., Wang, J., Murnighan, J. K. (2011). How to make people choose right over wrong. Forbes.com.
- Galinsky, A. D., Gunia, B. C., & Sivanathan, N. (2009). The insider succession trap. Forbes.com.
Select Book Chapters
- Sutcliffe, K. M., Gunia, B. C., & Kim, S. (2018). Trust and safety. Routledge Companion to Trust. Abingdon, UK: Routledge.
- Teucher, B. M., Brett, J. M., & Gunia, B. C. (2013). Negotiation. The SAGE Handbook of Conflict Communication: Integrating Theory, Research, and Practice, 2nd Ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Thompson, L. L., Wang, J., & Gunia, B. C. (2013). Negotiation. In J. M. Levine (Ed.), Group Processes (pp. 55-84). New York: Psychology Press. (Reprinted from Annual Review of Psychology.)
- Teucher, B. M., Brett, J. M., & Gunia, B. C. (2009). Culture and negotiation: Three models. In K. Sycara, M. Gelfand, & A. Allison (Eds). Modeling Intercultural Negotiation. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer.
Select Papers Under Review and In-Progress
- Gunia, B. C. The bartering mindset.
- Gunia, B. C. Adler, A. B., Bliese, P. D., & Sutcliffe, K. M. How are you sleeping? Sleep leadership, sleep health, and emotion regulation.
- Gunia, B. C., Carriere, K., & Pei, Y. “You don’t want to do that”: Economic self-sacrifice as enlightened self-interest.
- Gunia, B. C., Gish, J. J., & Mensmann, M. The weary founder: Sleep problems, ADHD-like tendencies, and entrepreneurial intentions.
- Gunia, B. C., & Suslow, V. Y. Socially undesirable negotiations.
To all of my collaborators. Thank you as well to the Johns Hopkins Carey Business School, Negotiation & Team Resources, and the Dispute Resolution Research Center, all of which have helped to fund my research.